Before a first date, you can feel many emotions. You can feel excited, scared, and anxious. It all stems from not knowing what your date will be like and the experience ahead of you. If you find the right person, a first date could improve your life dramatically. At the same time, a first date could also be life-changing in a negative way if you are suddenly in a dangerous situation with a stranger you don’t know. This article outlines some first date rules and tips to keep in mind.
Key Rules Everyone Should Follow on First Dates
These are the unspoken rules that everyone should follow to be safe, courteous, and respectful when meeting someone in person from an online dating app.
Dating can be scary. You don’t always know the person you agree to go on a date with. It can even be worse if you have not taken proper precautions and end up in an awkward or dangerous position. You may be chatting with someone online for months before deciding on meeting in person, but the truth is that you do not know this person at all. Always be careful while planning for your first date and know the first date rules and what you need to do in case of an emergency.
First Date Rules Part 1: The Early Stages
In the early stages of talking to someone, prior to a first date, keep these rules and tips in mind:
Get to know them first.
Before you agree to a first date with anyone, you should know some basic information about the person. You should know their real name, where they work, where they go to school, and their age, among other things. It will give you an idea of what kind of person they are and if you have some common interests.
Run a Background Check
Another one of the most important first date tips is to run a background check on the person. There is an app called Garbo that only requires you to enter a first name and phone number, and you will find out if there are any criminal records related to this person. Checking out a person’s background information may seem unnecessary or over-the-top, but it can save your life.
Conduct An Online Search
A Google search of a person’s name will give you results on LinkedIn, Facebook, and any other social media sites that the person is on. With this information, you will better understand the kind of person you are about to meet.
Look at their Social Media
Check out the social media accounts that you may come across and see what this person posts. It will give you an idea of the kind of person they are and their interests.
Take Note of Mutual Contacts Online
Notice the people who are mutual friends with the person, as you may need to contact them for more information. It will also let you know what kind of friends your potential date likes to keep.
Don’t Give Out Personal Information Too Early
Make sure you do not give out your personal information; you feel it is safe to reveal more. If you are using a dating site, stick to that instead of revealing your email address.
First Date Rules Part 2: Planning your date:
As you progress through the talking stage and start planning your first date, be sure to follow these rules to ensure personal safety.
- Make sure you are not busy on the day you schedule your date to avoid disruptions.
- To be safe, it would be best if you chose the venue. This way, you can pick a place you are familiar with and feel comfortable on your date.
- When the date is set, ensure that someone close to you knows where you will be, whom you are meeting, and when to expect you back. Text or call a close friend or family member before your first date to see if they are free during the date and time you’re planning.
First Date Rules Part 3: While On Your First Date
You made it to the date! Follow these first date rules while you’re meeting someone IRL.
- Feel free to get to know them more by asking questions in a fun, judgment-free way that aims to get to know them better. Asking questions can help you decide whether this person is a fit for you and someone you’d feel comfortable and secure going on a second date with.
- Actions speak louder than words. Studying your date’s gestures might reveal their nature more than what they are telling you.
- Watch for red flags that may indicate a negative side of the person. Look out for changes of mood, odd or unusual behavior, or
- When you are on a date, it is polite to ignore your phone by switching it to silent so that you can concentrate on the person.
- If things are not going well, or you feel uncomfortable at any point on the date, you must have an exit plan in place should you sense that things are not going as expected. For instance, you pretend to take a phone call or respond to a text you cannot fail to respond to.
First Date Rules Part 4: After The Date
- After the date, you should be upfront about your opinion of the person and if you are interested in seeing them again.
- Another unwritten first date rule is about the timing of texting your date. It is okay to wait to text or call after the date while you make up your mind. There’s no need to rush into a relationship! You do not need to text or message if you don’t want to.
- Do not rush to have sex. Even if you thought your first date went very well, it’s generally best to wait until after a few dates when you know a person better. And, of course, always have protection handy.
What Should You Do If A Rule is Broken?
It is important to set rigid guidelines that you should not break in any circumstance. If you agree with these rules, and one (or many) is broken, there should be no second chances. To avoid dangerous situations, check out these dating safety apps to download.
In Closing: First Date Rules
You never know how your first date will go. By sticking to these rules and guidelines, you can be prepared and stay safe on your date if it goes poorly.
For more dating safety tips, you can visit datingsafetytips.com.
Leave a Reply